Spousal Sponsorship

UPDATE (December 2017):  Work permit pilot extended to 2019 for spouses and common-law partners applying for permanent residence from within Canada. Spouses applying from within Canada can apply for a work permit at the same time as their application for spousal sponsorship is submitted. Those who submitted their sponsorship application without an application for a Work Permit, can still benefit from this pilot project. If you need support during this applications, please contact us and let us help you.

Permanent resident and Canadian Citizen are able to sponsor spouses, partners or other relatives.  Canada offers the opportunity to reunite you with your loved ones and allow them to become permanent residents and continue living together as a family in Canada. There are certain criteria that you must meet as well as eligibility requirements that your relatives should fulfill in order to be accepted on this program.

To be eligible to sponsor your spouse you should:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
    • if you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident
    • you can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
  • Be able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability
  • Have enough income to provide for basic needs of any grandchildren (dependent children of a dependent child) of the principal applicant.

You can sponsor a:

  • spouse
  • common-law partner
  • conjugal partner
  • dependent child

Definitions for immigration purposes:

Sponsor: A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is 18 years of age or older, and who legally supports a member of the Family Class to become a permanent resident of Canada.
Spouse: A legal marriage partner. This term includes both opposite- and same-sex relationships but does not include common-law partnerships.
Common-law partner: A person who has been living with another person in a conjugal relationship for at least one year. The term refers to opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.
Conjugal partner: A person outside Canada who has had a binding relationship with a sponsor for at least one year but could not live with their partner. The term refers to both opposite-sex and same-sex relationships.
Dependant: A spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a permanent resident or principal applicant.

Dependent child: A child who depends on their parent for financial and other support. A son or daughter is considered a dependant of their parent when the child is:

  • under 22 years old, and does not have a spouse or partner, or
  • a full-time student on an ongoing basis since before theage of 22, and has depended largely on a parent’s financial support since that time, or
  • 22 years old and over, and
    • became a spouse or partner before the age of 22, and
    • has been a full-time student on an ongoing basis since before the age of 22, and
    • has depended largely on a parent’s financial support since they became a spouse or partner, or
  • 22 years old and over, and has depended largely on the parent’s financial support since before the age of 22 because of a physical or mental condition.
If you are interested in this program please contact us.