Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) stream, allows those who have accumulated at least 1 year of full time skilled work experience (or the equivalent of part time work) in Canada in the last 3 years before the application is submitted, to apply to become a permanent residents.

The work experience must have been gained while being properly authorized as temporary residents.

Skilled work is defined as having worked under one of these categories:

  • Managerial jobs (NOC skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (NOC skill type A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (NOC skill type B)

NOC is the National Occupational classification published by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC)

You can verify if your work experience classifies under one of these categories by reviewing the National Occupational Classification Matrix 2011.

Work experience that has been obtained while being a full time student does not count. For student enrolled in post-secondary programs it is possible to obtain work permit after graduation and remain in Canada for that year necessary to meet the requirement necessary to be able to apply for permanent residency under the CEC program.

Another requirement is that the applicant must demonstrate that they meet minimum levels of ability to speak, read, write and listen in English or French. Those abilities must be demonstrated by taking a language test from an agency approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the results must be included with the application package.

If the work permit of the principal applicant is close to expire, an extension of the work permit or application for a bridging work permit must be done at least 30 days before the current work permit expires.

Canada wants immigrants that are familiar with the Canadian society and job market, speak the language and have Canadian job experience as meeting these requirements is an indication that the aplicant is someone that will have a positive contribution to the Canadian society and economy.

If your intention is to live in the province of Quebec, the “Programme de l’expérience québécoise” (PEQ – Québec experience program) is the equivalent program to the CEC.  Students of a bachelor, Master or  doctorate degree can apply as well as college studies and technical training and vocational education. Current temporary workers can also apply and they also need to demonstrate 1 year of full time work experience y the last 2 years and must also demonstrate knowledge of French.  Under this program no part time work experience can be accounted and the work experience must be at a level of “C” under the National Occupation Classification

Please contact us if you are interested in this program.